Friday, January 06, 2006

Wal-Mart Employed Racist Computers?

I seriously doubt it.

Now, I dislike Wal-Mart as much as any red-blooded, city-dwelling, sprawl-hating American. But I can't believe that there was any ill intent on the part of the company when its computer system bizarrely began suggesting that shoppers interested in Martin Luther King, Jr.-related films also pick up Planet of the Apes.

And what's up with the over-the-top apologies these days. "'We are heartsick that this happened and are currently doing everything possible to correct the problem,' Wal-Mart spokeswoman Mona Williams said in a statement." I mean, it's not like they're apoligizing for forcing American manufacturing jobs to China here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I figure they hurried up and made an over-top-apology to keep the reverend jesse jackson from showing up.

Over-the-top apologies have been commonplace for at least 10 years now, anyway.